Aimée Wimbush-Bourque is a Montreal award-winning food writer and author of the bestselling cookbook Brown Eggs and Jam Jars. A mother to three children, Aimée is passionate about forging a healthy family food culture through home cooking, world travel and modern-day homesteading. She writes at Simple Bites (www.simplebites.net) and her second cookbook, The Simple Bites Kitchen, will be released in October 2017.
Aimée Wimbush-Bourque's Cooking School Recipe
Soft Chicken Tacos with Simple Salsa & Guacamole
Prep Time: 40 minutes
For the salsa:
1- 28 oz can whole tomatoes, drained
¼ medium sweet white onion, such as Vidalia
1 jalapeno, washed
2 garlic cloves, peeled
About 1/4 of a bunch of cilantro, well washed and patted dry
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
Juice of 1/2 lime
For the guacamole:
2 ripe avocados
1 lime, juiced
½ teaspoon sea salt
2 Tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
For the tacos:
12 soft corn tortillas
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 small head of lettuce, washed and dried
2 cups shredded roast chicken
1 small bunch radishes, sliced
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
Make the salsa:
- Place a box grater in a medium bowl.
- Grate the tomatoes on the large side, discarding the cores.
- Peel off the outer skin of the onion and grate it on the large side of the grater as well.
- One the finer side of the grater, grate the bottom half of the jalapeno.
- Scoop out the seeds and discard them.
- Grate the garlic on the fine side of the box grater as well.
- Mince the cilantro and add to the bowl.
- Sprinkle in the salt and pour over the lime juice.
- Stir the salsa very well to combine.
Make the guacamole:
- On a large cutting board, slice avocados in half and remove the pit.
- Scoop out the flesh with a spoon and drop it into a bowl.
- Pour the lime juice on top and sprinkle with salt.
- Mash everything together with a pastry blender.
- Add the chopped cilantro.
- Mix to combine.
Make the tacos:
- Preheat a large cast iron skillet.
- Brush corn tacos with olive oil on both sides.
- Cook in the frying pan, one at a time, for about 30 second per side, just to soften them and heat them through.
- Remove from pan and wrap in a clean tea towel to keep warm.
- On the table, place the salsa, guacamole, warm tortillas, lettuce, shredded chicken, cheese and the radishes. Have everyone assemble his or her own tacos and enjoy!
- Serve with additional toppings such as hot sauces, limes, sweet peppers & other veg.